Careers in Commercial Real Estate
The office buildings that shape the skylines of our cities need people with strong organizational ability and communication skills. The industry is open to anyone with a positive, can-do attitude and top employers are actively seeking candidates with the following skills and attributes:
- Customer Service Orientation
- Attention to Detail
- People Skills
- Financial/Analytical Skills
- Construction Knowledge
- Strong Work Ethic/Accountability
- Sense of Humor
Please click here to view BOMA International's Careers digital publication - A World Class Career in Commercial Real Estate - that details what you can can expect in this fast passed, challenging and fun field.
What Roles and Responsibilities Should I Expect?
For a hi-rise office building as an example, a commercial property manager hires, trains and supervises a team of administrative and building repair and maintenance staff. The Property Manager is responsible for the marketing, leasing, operations and financial activities associated with running the property and serves as the owner’s or management company’s key representative and liaison with tenants.
Under the leadership of the property manager, the management team evaluates and contracts with vendor companies that repair and maintain building systems and functions such as elevator repair and maintenance, security, energy management, heating and cooling, janitorial, window washing, etc. The property manager also leads tenant improvement work and other building capital projects.
A Property Manager will develop the knowledge and skills to understand and supervise business operations associated with the following:
- Leasing and Marketing of the property
- Real estate investment and finance concepts and goals of ownership
- Managing the onsite team
- Operation, and maintenance of building systems
- Tenant improvements and other remodeling and modernization projects
- Tenant satisfaction
- Security and safety of staff, tenants and guests
- Budgeting and supervising accounting
- Energy conservation and carbon mitigation management
- Environmental health
This is just an example of one common position within the commercial real estate industry. For insightful perspectives from those who are actually in the industry, please watch this video from BOMA Seattle.
Experience Requirements & Salary Ranges
A Career Path That Grows With You and Has Support Every Step of the Way
Don't worry if you didn't study commercial real estate in school or come from a related industry such as resort/hotel management, multi-family property management, financial services, banking, or real estate agency leasing . . . there are continuing education classes and support that BOMA provides to help you succeed in this thriving industry! If you do have strong people skills, are entrepreneurial, a resourceful problem-solver, and like that no two days are the same, commercial real estate is the career for you.
More and more young professionals are joining the industry and emerging as leaders. What this means for you is that you have support and a community that can help guide you. Groups like BOMA's Emerging Professionals can help those new to the industry by:
- Connecting new professionals with others within the BOMA community
- Providing networking, coaching, mentoring and leadership development opportunities
- Creating educational and inspirational opportunities and be a resource for individuals and their companies
Consider a Career in Commercial Real Estate Today!
- Visit our Career Center to see what positions are available now.
- Follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn to keep up with what BOMA is up to: @bomastlouis
- For more information, please contact us.
Looking for a job? Looking for an employee?
Exciting jobs with good compensation and excellent opportunities for career advancement are available in property and facility management, marketing and leasing, engineering, development, brokerage and more. The BOMA St. Louis Career Center gives employers and job-seeking professionals a better way to find one another and make that perfect career fit.